Meet SMHS Newly Elected Student Body President: Danitza

Q: What are your responsibilities as President?

A: As a senior at San Miguel, but especially as Student Body President, my main role is to be a role model and representative for my classmates and the underclassmen. I oversee all five councils, of course with the help of my amazing council members: Gereardo, Carley, Juan, and Sharon. All together, we are the mediators between the councils, administration, and the student body.

Q: Why are you a good fit for this position?
A: I believe that I am a good fit for this position because all my life I've naturally been able to take charge in situations, but honestly the reason I have been able to truly succeed in my role as president is because of the help that my team and our moderator, Ms. Cat, offer.

Q: What goals do you have for the Executive Council this year?
A: The goal I have for the Executive Council is to reform rules which affect the entire student body... but also to ensure that school is an enjoyable place for everyone. Specifically for our council, I'd like to successfully plan a senior trip, not only for the benefit of my own class, but to set a precedent for future classes.

Q: Why do you think Student Council is important at San Miguel?
A: Sometimes it's easy to forget, as a leader, that you are not only speaking for yourself but also for the many. That is what the Student Council is about, being the voice of many to those who may not always be able to hear. At San Miguel, the staff tries to ensure student involvement in decisions concerning ourselves, but having the councils gives staff direct access to those they make decisions about. Our goal is to keep a balance of peace, happiness, and order within our community.

Q: How does it feel being back on campus this year?
A: While I do miss being able to sleep in right until my first 8am class, I love being surrounded by those who became my family over the four years we've known each other. I'd prefer not to ever go back to online learning, but my biggest concern as of now is to encourage and maintain COVID policies to keep our school safe and in the physical classrooms. Although overwhelming at times, being back at school is like returning home.