Spotlight on: Teresa McCarthy


Teresa McCarthy is a Sophomore English Teacher at San Miguel High School. 

Let's learn a little bit more about her!











Teresa grew up in Gilroy, California, the garlic capital of the world! Teresa says, “It was an awesome place to grow up because it was a short drive to so many amazing places like San Francisco, Monterey, the Redwood National Forest, and more, that I got to see when I was younger.” 





In her spare time, Teresa loves to play golf: she played on her high school's team and now does it as a hobby to clear her head and get outside. She also loves spending time with friends and currently getting to explore new parts of Tucson with my housemates. 





I love a lot of different types of food, but my favorite snack of all time is popcorn. I frequently eat entire bags of popcorn in one sitting, and I have gone to the movie theater just to buy popcorn and then left. 






I attended Gonzaga University for my undergraduate degree in English and Secondary Education, where I graduated from this past Spring. I am currently getting my Masters in Educational Leadership from Creighton University as a part of their Magis Teacher Corps program.






First, I am grateful for the community that Magis has given me here in Tucson. Being a first year teacher has its difficulties, but I get to share my teaching journey with the four other teachers I live with. We support one another in our faith, our work, and just life in general. 

I am also grateful that Magis gives me such an opportunity to advance my career while I am still so young. Because I studied education in college, I am able to pursue a degree in Educational Leadership, which is the degree that Principals and other school administrators take to qualify them for these positions. Most people go back to school later in their lives to get this degree, but Magis offers me the unique opportunity to learn these valuable skills as a new teacher.






I just moved to Tucson at the end of July! I had never visited here before starting at San Miguel, and I have now been living and teaching here for about five months. 

   





I love the community at San Miguel that has been so welcoming, both faculty and students. My students truly make every day here exciting, and I so much enjoy being around them and getting to share my love of English with them.