Alumna spotlight: Mireya Igelsias-Ayala

Mireya Igelsias-Ayala, San Miguel Class of 2015, fully embodies the motto, Enter to Learn, Leave to Serve. After graduating as San Miguel’s Class of 2015 Valedictorian, she attended Georgetown University on a full-ride scholarship. 

At Georgetown, she studied in the McDonough School of Business, developing a passion for business and marketing that was first sparked by her internship at Tucson Electric Power as part of San Miguel’s Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP). 

Even as she moved away from Tucson, she remained connected with San Miguel and the larger Tucson community, notably serving as a graduation speaker at her younger brother’s commencement ceremony in 2021.

“During high school, San Miguel truly opened doors to many opportunities - gaining the professional internship experience, positioning me for a full-ride to Georgetown, and even traveling abroad. These experiences have made all the difference in my career and personal growth. Years later I know I can email, call or visit anyone at San Miguel and they will be there for me,” says Mireya.

Now working as a Senior Marketing Analyst at PepsiCo, Mireya has come full circle in her journey as a member of the San Miguel community. 

In March 2022, Mireya launched a joint college-scholarship and mentorship program for San Miguel students called the Envisions Project. Inspired by her own experience attending university far from home, the project aims to support two San Miguel Seniors who plan to attend out-of-state universities by awarding each a $1,500 scholarship. Each awarded student will also gain enrollment to a 12-month mentorship program designed to pair students with a mentor who will help them navigate the challenges that come with attending an out-of-state university and serve as a support system.

“For me, community empowerment is everything. Part of who I am today and where I am today is due to the community at San Miguel that believed in me from day one. 

There truly is no greater satisfaction than giving back to the community that continues to celebrate my wins after many years. 

I aim to support San Miguel’s mission and students who share my background while highlighting the amazing people in the South Side of Tucson community,” says Mireya.