Alumni Highlight


Javier was featured on the cover of the Saint Mary's Magazine.

Javier and his 9-month old daughter, Kamila.

Javier G. Madrid

SMHS Class of 2014


Q: When you were in high school, what did you want to be when you "grew up"?

A: The most important thing I wanted to do was to be of service to others. Ultimately, I knew I wanted to work in business. But keep in mind that life will take you through several twists and turns. After college I worked at a paint store and an insurance brokerage before finding my calling at an investment firm where I am able to help people protect the assets that they worked for and build upon them. So keep in mind, don't just "think outside the box" - build your own box! 


Q: Congrats on your recent feature on the cover of your alma mater's magazine! Can you tell us more about this opportunity? 

A: I was caught by surprise when asked to be on the cover of SMU Magazine. I was asked to be featured to illustrate the development of a first generation student and how SMU played a role. I firmly believe that it takes a village to reach new heights. In every walk of life there will be someone who impacts your development and perspective. I wanted to highlight that attending Saint Mary's as well as San Miguel helped me to become the person I am today! 


Q: What have you been up to since your time at SMHS and in college? 

A: Today, I spend most of my free time with my 9-month old daughter Kamila as we embark on a beautiful journey were I aim to be the best father possible. Additionally, I find fulfillment in mentoring younger family members and younger San Miguel Alum - whether it is meeting constantly or just exchanging a few phone calls or texts. I also work for Goldman Sachs as a Relationship Manager.

Javier and his family. 

Q: What advice would you give to a current SMHS student? 

A: Be present and living in the moment, but make sure to plan for tomorrow. High school and college (or whatever route is taken) will provide everlasting memories; moments that you cannot get back. Enjoy it and embrace it! However, make sure you are always considering that the choices you make today can pay dividends or consequences to the opportunities that you will have tomorrow! 


Don't take shortcuts and be curious. ALWAYS continue your education; through trainings, certifications, or traditional higher education. There is always an opportunity to learn and grow. Finally, get out of your comfort zone. It is when we try something new and uncomfortable that we grow the most.