Brother Jesús M. Lara, FSC, Interim Principal

 


Brother Jesús has been involved in Lasallian education since he was a high schooler himself. After following a friend to a Christian Brothers' high school, Brother Jesús found himself compelled by the Brothers' style of education and their commitment to their mission. 


"The Brothers taught me. I liked what they did and how they did it. There was always a little vocation call in the back of my head," said Brother Jesús. 


Although the process is different now, Brother Jesús became a Brother while he was in high school, after he went on a vocation trip and said yes to the call. 


The Brothers' emphasis on community has always been one of the most essential part of the vocation for Brother Jesús. 


"The reason I didn't become a priest is because there's not that same community. If I was doing it by by myself I would be very sorry. In community, you can come home and share similar experiences and talk together about things that concern everybody," said Brother Jesús. 


Brother Jesús has worn many hats in his time at San Miguel, including previous stints as Interim Principal. Although the responsibility is sometimes challenging, Brother Jesús stays inspired by thinking about the students. 


Having spent a significant portion of his life either learning from or educating in the Lasallian charism, Brother Jesús is extremely well-versed in the meaning and impact of the 5 Core Principles (see image below). 


"Having been through high school and college with the Brothers, I feel that the Core Principles are something I can look to and say I belong here and this is what I strive for," said Brother Jesús.


Brother Jesús sees the Core Principles in action every day at San Miguel. Although all 5 principles are essential, the principle of inclusive community really stands out in our community. 


"We are an inclusive community - if you are on our campus, you are a part of our student body, and you are San Miguel. The 5 Core Principles are what we stand for, without them we are not Lasallian."