Paloma L. Santiago reflects on Hispanic heritage as she moves on to new position

After five years as Vice President of Advancement at San Miguel, Paloma has accepted a position as District Director of Southern Arizona for Junior Achievement. We thank Paloma for her work in advancing the San Miguel mission and wish her well on her journey. 






Paloma’s mother moved to California from Cd. Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico in the mid 70’s. As first-generation born in Los Angeles, Paloma Santiago is proud to be Latina and weaves her Hispanic culture into all she does.


“It’s the family, faith, food and especially the music that I love most. It adds the spice and bright colors to my everyday living.”


Growing up, Paloma remembers school was always a priority.


“My mother always put my education first as much as she could. Homework was always first even before chores and of course going out to play,” says Paloma, who loved being outside. “We moved a lot when I was younger between states so I struggled with keeping up but my mom never allowed me to give up. She herself enrolled in classes to learn English and later earned her GED. I remember doing our homework together. English was really tough for us but I loved writing and story time.”


Paloma, who was first amongst her cousins to graduate with a college degree, has now made it her purpose in life to help students, including her two sons, find their path through their educational journeys.


“No one can ever take education away from you and you make the best decisions when you are informed,” explains Paloma. “That’s why San Miguel’s mission appealed to me. It focuses on both curriculum AND workforce development skills. I loved witnessing our students grow into their own successes over the years.” 


Growing up in a rural town in Wyoming, Paloma’s first memory of being inspired happened when she was seven years old during career day in the early 80’s. 


“One particular visitor was a professional Hispanic woman who spoke about her career and the importance of volunteering in the community. She dressed in a suit and had huge shoulder pads, sunglasses and looked so important as she was sharing about her job as a banker.” Paloma reminisced. “Right then and there was when I wanted to grow up to be a business woman because she looked like me and she was so nice! I’m so happy San Miguel does its own career day coming up next month because that’s where these students really can see what’s out there.”


Thirty seven years later, Paloma has continued her own volunteer work in hopes to inspire others to give back as well. Paloma received the 2018 award as Women of Impact through Impact of Southern Arizona and was a finalist as a Woman of Influence. In 2016, she competed in Social Venture Partners’, “Fast Pitch”, winning the Grand Prize and People's Choice awards along with cash prizes for the Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona.


“I’m goal driven and competitive with myself. It’s what drives me to do quality work, leave something better than how I found it, have a strong work ethic and be true to my word.These were things I learned from my stepdad growing up on a ranch. My dad always said, ‘your word and your name is all you have, make sure you’re always proud of that.’”


Honored with the Community Champion Award through the National Women Business Owners Association, Paloma also became a 40 under 40 recipient through the Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.


Paloma considers her two boys to be her greatest achievements. Paloma became a mother at a young age and nevertheless was determined to get through college herself. Since then, Paloma has witnessed her eldest son graduate from the University of Arizona and accept a job in hydrology for the City of Tucson Water Department. She also enjoys traveling with her youngest son who is taking high school math while still in eighth grade and hopes to attend the University of Toronto. 


“It makes me proud to have my mom witness not only my successes but her grandsons’ as well. When she was younger living in Mexico, she vowed to secure a life for her children and grandchildren as they accomplish their own dreams in America,” says Paloma.


“She left everything behind for the opportunity and I never took that for granted growing up or raising my own children. I always make sure my boys are proud of their Mexican heritage and where we come from. It’s what makes us, us.”