Faculty/Staff Spotlight: Brother Javier Hansen, FSC


Brother Javier Hansen, FSC

Freshman Theology Teacher


What brings you to San Miguel? Where are you from?


People have been asking me ‘where are you from’ a lot and at this point, ten years in the brothers, I don’t really know what answer to give. I was born and raised in California and I didn’t meet the brothers until I went to Saint Mary’s College in California for undergrad. It was there that I felt religious calling. And, before that, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. So, when I met the brothers who were unequivocally really good teachers and dedicated Religious, I decided that’s the group I’m called to. By the time I graduated, I knew I needed to try and take the next step and since that time I’ve worked in many different Lasallian schools. After I made my final vows, I was told that it was time for me to move to a new school because we take these vows and they’re supposed to enable us to go wherever we may be sent. Brother Nick, who’s the founding principal of San Miguel, said that ultimately he wanted me to come to San Miguel, so here I am. 


Tell us a little bit about your role at San Miguel.


I teach freshman religion here. It’s broken into two semesters - the first one is Foundations of Catholicism. It's important to have a class right at the get go introducing Catholic theology. And then the second semester is Sacraments. I think by having me teach freshman they’re allowing me to serve to my strengths, which are to try and inculcate the incoming class with the enthusiasm and the school charism that they need to thrive here. There’s a need for freshman to receive that initial formation in Lasallian Catholic spirituality, because they may never have heard of it before they arrived here.


How would you describe the role that the Brothers community plays at San Miguel? 


Historically, most teachers at Lasallian schools would’ve been all brothers but, as we’ve moved through the last century, a majority of the people working in our schools are lay partners. If a school is lucky enough to have brothers — we have about 22 high schools in our district and only a handful of them have brothers anymore and fewer than that actually have brothers that are working at the school — it's significant. I hope to teach my students the significance of them having brothers as teachers because many Lasallian schools don’t. We try to make sure all our lay partners know Lasallian spirituality but I kind of consider the Brothers community as the treasure chest of Lasallian wisdom. Not to be forced on our lay partners but when needed, we can be that source of knowledge. In particular at San Miguel, I know Brother Nick is eager to send a couple of young brothers here because this is fertile soil to maybe inspire some new vocations. We’re working actively to inspire new vocations to the brothers.


We celebrated Lasallian Core Principles last week. Can you share a bit about how you relate to the Core Principles both as an educator and as a Brother? 


In order to not only introduce the core principles but to reinforce them, I teach my students what they mean and tell them how they can be lived out on campus and the ways they can continue to be lived out beyond campus. It’s not a checklist where we will one day reach "Faith in the Presence of God," for instance, and check it off.


I think they all feed off of each other but I would definitely say that "Faith in the Presence of God" would be my favorite core principle. I feel like it is the hub of a wheel where all the spokes come together. It inspires and gives energy to the other core principles. 


What are you most looking forward to this academic year?


I have never participated in the Heritage Festival and people have been really talking it up. I asked my students recently what they liked so far about San Miguel, what’s their favorite thing about San Miguel, and I was surprised to read a few people writing about how through preparing for the Heritage Festival, they’ve met new friends. And I think, ambitiously, I would really like to try and create an ultimate frisbee club. 


When you’re not on campus, what are some things you like to do in your free time? 


I’m a runner, I grew up running a lot lot. Also, ultimate frisbee is kind of who I am, if I’m not coaching kids playing ultimate frisbee, I’m in leagues and following the sport. I also started a fantasy football league for teachers here. I like following sports and I like getting involved in the sports our kids are playing here.