Faculty/Staff Spotlight: Brother Matthew Chiantella, FSC


Brother Matthew Chiantella, FSC

Director of Student Life and Ministry


What brings you to San Miguel? Where are you from?


I am a Christian Brother in temporary vows. I was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana and met the Brothers when I became a teacher at De La Salle High School in New Orleans. I previously was a teacher in the public schools but since I was educated in Catholic schools my whole life I loved how education was holistic, encompassing academics, emotional, and spiritual development. My involvement with Lasallian Student Leaders in California put me in contact with Brothers from the various schools and I began my discernment journey with the Brothers. I was previously at Saint Mary’s College High School in Berkeley California as Director of Student Activities and Lasallian Formation and last year I completed Novitiate with the Brothers in Chicago.


Tell us a little bit about your role at San Miguel.


I am the Director of Student Life and Ministry at San Miguel. I truly believe that student life and ministry are crucial components of a student’s education. Also Student Life as the programs, activities, and events it sponsors fosters the building of relationships, which are at the foundation of Lasallian education. Allowing the students to find their places of belonging as well as develop their interests and talents in areas outside of the classroom can be powerful and enriching learning experiences. What I enjoy most about San Miguel is the variety of co-curricular and spiritual opportunities offered so that the students can learn not only for school but learn for life.


How would you describe the role that the Brothers community plays at San Miguel? 


The Brothers community plays a special role at San Miguel. We are blessed as well as distinctive in having an active Brothers community connected with the school as not many schools in the San Francisco New Orleans District have Brothers communities attached to the school. San Miguel is also distinctive in having all five brothers of the community directly involved and working in the school, which adds a special element to the school community. I enjoy seeing fellow brothers working in the school with passion and commitment and it continues to inspire me to strive to provide the best quality programs I can as Director of Student Life and Ministry. 


We celebrated Lasallian Core Principles last week. Can you share a bit about how you relate to the Core Principles both as an educator and as a Brother? 


The Core Principles ultimately come from the Lasallian Mission and the Gospel. They invite us to a deeper understanding of our relationship with God, with ourselves, and with others. The Core Principles and Gospel values orient ourselves in how we are to create and sustain our San Miguel community. It is something that defines us and gives us a special identity, not in an exclusive way, but instead in an inclusive way that invites others to be part of the community. I think the power of these principles is their rootedness in the Gospel that speaks to both lay partners and Brothers alike. A Lasallian Educator teaches to inform a students’ conscience and formation as a whole individual. In addition to teaching facts, figures, skills, and critical thinking, a Brother through accompaniment helps form a student slowly toward spiritual maturity and responsible character. 


What are you most looking forward to this academic year?


On the Student Life side, I am looking forward to a few different initiatives: I want to create programs, activities, and opportunities for students to interact socially with one another to build a community of spirit and pride and provide positive interactions as well as activities that nurture a sense of belonging. I want students to feel a part of the larger campus identity and of the San Miguel family. This is particularly important after the pandemic, when so many students felt isolated from their peers. I also am looking forward to providing opportunities for developing leadership skills and fostering a sense of community service. A sense of service and a leadership mindset are ways to approach not only our community but the community as a whole. More than ever society needs leaders who are empathetic and compassionate, who understand the needs of others and to think integrally rather than just independently.


On the campus ministry side, I will also be developing and organizing activities that help students cultivate a deeper sense of faith and a deeper awareness of the presence of God in their lives as well as further integrating the 5 Core Principles into their lives and habits. These events will provide an opportunity to deepen students’ understanding of the history of the Brothers and the life of the founder, Saint John Baptist de La Salle and for them to have a sense of the richness of the heritage of which they are a part.


When you’re not on campus, what are some things you like to do in your free time? 


When I am not creating or organizing events at school I have a few hobbies including plants and gardening, as well as cooking. I enjoy taking care of and growing plants and since we live in one of the most biodiverse spots in the country I have been exploring propagation and care of all the different native plants we have in the Tucson area. 



Since I am from New Orleans I am definitely a “live to eat” versus an “eat to live” kind of person. I love to cook and try different recipes and techniques and cook for others. I also collect cookbooks and enjoy “reading” them as it gives me a window into the wide variety of cultures and culinary expressions around the world.