Faculty/Staff Spotlight: Welcome back to San Miguel, Ms. Racheal Bailey!

 


Racheal Bailey

Alumni Support Advisor, SMHS Class of 2015


Since Ms. Bailey graduated San Miguel in 2015, she graduated from the U of A with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and Public Management and Policy, moved to Philadelphia as a Lasallian volunteer, and earned her M.A in Strategic Communications from La Salle University. We were thrilled to welcome Ms. Bailey back to San Miguel at the beginning of this school year, in the role of Alumni Support Advisor.


Can you tell us a little more about your time away from Tucson?


Ever since I was in high school, once I got my undergrad [degree], I knew I was going to be a Lasallian Volunteer, because we had Lasallian volunteers who taught at San Miguel while I was a student... we had teachers and counselors who are now near and dear to my heart and they really transformed my life so I wanted to be what they were. So, after getting my bachelors I joined the Lasallian Volunteers program. This was during COVID, but I said yes and they sent me to Philadelphia. And that's where I spent two years working at a Lasallian High School called West Catholic. I was the assistant director of student life and I taught two senior courses in sociology and civil rights.


What about the Alumni Advisor position attracted you?


I really felt called back, San Miguel was calling me back for a reason. I'm happy to be back and to be working alongside alumni in their journey, to be a support system for them is amazing. Growing up on the south side of Tucson, like other alum and just being able to help them through college to make sure they graduate, or to help them find their right career path, I'm really excited to be doing what I'm doing now.


What are you excited for during this academic year?


I'm just really excited to have my first group of alumni who are graduating from college and also to see the San Miguel seniors graduate. I know it's a tough journey but they're making it. I'm also really ready to travel a lot especially to go see those alumni who are not in Tucson. I believe our farthest alumni who is going to school is at Georgetown University. I'm really looking forward to seeing alumni in their different areas because when I was gone and far away from home it's just really special when you see someone from home and to have that support.


What are your favorite things to do in your free time?


When I'm not working, I love spending time with family and friends and our dogs, we have about six dogs living at my mom's house. Just spending time with them because I've been gone for so long. To reconnect with them, to share some good stories, laugh about it with them. I love nature, I love being out in the desert, especially going to A Mountain and looking over Tucson and really appreciating where I am.


What is one piece of advice you'd give to a current San Miguel student?


To believe in yourself, you can do anything you set your mind towards, don't be afraid to go out and experience a whole new place. Do what you want to do, don't let anything pull you back. I know it's really hard for some students to leave home... but its also something that you might need because you'll grow a lot. So, I really just encourage San Miguel students to dream big and to go do it.